Relevant Practice Areas
- e: firstname.lastname@example.org
- t: 416-597-6477
- toll free: 1-877-597-9922
- f: 416-597-3370
Practice Focus: Mario Forte joined the GSNH Restructuring & Insolvency Practice Group in 2015. Mario has extensive experience representing the principal participants in Canadian and cross-border corporate and financial institution restructurings and insolvencies. Mario was named by LEXPERT as a leading US / Canada Cross-Border Corporate Lawyer in Canada.
Since 1987, Mario’s practice has spanned all financial and other aspects of distress situations.
Within the scope of his practice, Mario has acted for all participants, with extensive involvement on behalf of both creditor (institutional and non-institutional, trade and landlord) investor and corporate clients. As a result, he has established working relationships with financial institutions, financial intermediaries, and consulting, investment and accounting firms that are active in distress situations.
In addition, Mario has extensive experience as a corporate and strategic advisor to senior management, the board and special committees grappling with issues and opportunities arising from distress circumstances.
Mario joined GSNH after practicing for many years with two leading national law firms.
Practice Focus:Restructuring & Insolvency
His industry experience includes:
Financial institutions & Financial services
Oil & gas
Representative Legal Matters:
- Counsel to Bedrock Industries in acquisition of Canadian steel producer Stelco;
- Counsel to FTI Canada in the Aveos restructuring;
- Counsel to The Bargain Shop! in its restructuring proceedings;
- Counsel to Summerstreet Capital in respect of the refinancing of its portfolio company Belmont Meats and other strategic matters;
- Strategic counsel to Aimia ( Aeroplan ) in respect of various matters;
- Lead restructuring counsel to venture capital consortium in respect of the restructuring of the publicly traded investment fund Growthworks Canadian Fund Ltd.;
- M&A counsel to US private equity consortium in the matter of the Cinram disposition;
- Lead counsel to Brookfield in its bid for the assets of Timminco/Becancour Inc.;
- Lead restructuring counsel to the special committee of the board of CanWest in its restructuring proceedings;
- Counsel to A. Farber & Partners Inc. in respect of the bankruptcy of Costa Brava, retailer;
- Restructuring counsel to the special committee of the board of Mega Brands in respect of various strategic initiatives;
- Restructuring counsel to Renin Corp. in its restructuring proceedings;
- Lead restructuring counsel to the Richard Chandler Group in the matter of Sino-Forest Corporation;
- Lead restructuring counsel to the Caisse de Depot in the matter of the restructuring of the Canadian non-bank asset-backed commercial paper market;
- Restructuring counsel to the Canadian Bankers’ Association in the matter of the drafting of legislation pertaining to Canadian covered bonds;
- Restructuring counsel to the Royal Bank of Canada in respect of the structuring of Canadian covered bonds.
Professional Associations & Memberships:
Canadian Bar Association
Ontario Bar Association
Law Society of Upper Canada
Personal Interests: In his spare time, Mario likes to cycle, hike and cook for friends and family.
- University of British Columbia, (B.A., 1981)
- Queen’s University, (J.D., 1985)
Year of Call